It’s been pretty busy around these parts lately. School ended May 30, and Neve turned 5!!! We had a big party for her on the 31st and invited all of her friends (and some of ours) over to play on the big inflatable waterslide and have ice cream cake (mmmm Carvel!). I can’t believe how big my middle baby has gotten!
But little peanut or no, she’s going to kindergarten in the fall, and let me tell you how happy that makes me! With all 3 kids at home all day now there’s a lot of referee action on my part, and when she’s here, Maddie’s. But it was a fun day either way, and I now have to remember to get the thank yous out to everyone. And then there’s the obligatory “sad doggy” picture. Pippa was sequestered to avoid puppy induced insanity, and when we let her out after everyone had left, she lay forlornly under the table, snout strategically placed next to a tootsie roll. In fact, I found that little tootsie roll later (I apparently forgot to move it after snapping the picture) and found two fang marks in it.
Just look at those puppy dog eyes. She wants it bad.
Anyway, craziness aside, I’ve been pretty happy lately. Happier than I’ve ever been, I think. There’s a certain contentment that has settled in lately. There’s a combination of things helping that to happen, I think. Maddie’s been around a lot to help out with Oona so I don’t feel so totally overwhelmed every day. I’ve been able to keep the house fairly decent lately. About 2 notches above absolute pigsty, which is a huge improvement over my former 8 notches below “should be condemned”.
Also, I got Wii Fit, and I have been practicing the yoga, aerobics, and etc. that it entails. I basically have my own virtual personal trainer, and thanks to Mads once again, I have been able to work out for 30 minutes every day. It’s given me a lot more energy and I feel pretty good. Thanks to that extra energy I’ve been able to stay up past Oona’s bedtime and work on some projects. I am this close to being done with Em’s socks. I also have been sewing a lot. I made Emily a nice skirt and scarf:
Please ignore her scraggly hair and the fact that she’s wearing Maddie’s flip flops which are WAY too big.
I made Neve a dress for her birthday party, and I made Oona a cute little dress and bloomers set. I have a bunch more projects in mind…..and knowing that I took steps which have greatly added to my happy state of mind. I re-did the play room, and it is now half play space, half my “studio”. I can’t even tell you how much I am loving it. I even got a nice shade of fuschia for the walls that I am love love loving.
So, I have my own space, my veggies in my raised beds are growing by leaps and bounds, and we’ve been eating fresh blueberry gateau. How can you not be happy? Even with the day I had today:
1. Couldn’t get any A/C people out to the house until tomorrow. Playroom is literally 850 degrees. I may hurl.
2. Went to Lowe’s with Oona to buy heat blocking window tint for playroom. Went to open van’s sliding door, and it broke. Will. Not. Open.
3. Lowe’s didn’t have exactly what I needed. Bought only 2 boxes left, and after getting home found that one had been cut already.
4. Spent $20 to take kids to the pool. Swam for 5 minutes, then they blew the whistle and made us get out for a 15 minute “rest break”. After 15 minutes we swam for 10 minutes. THen they blew the whistle and said we all had to get out because they heard thunder and the pool was therefore now closed. I drove home with some very unhappy children. Most expensive 15 minutes I’ve had in a while.
5. Tried to apply window tint. Decided after one pane that I’d rather pull all of my toe nails off with pliers than continue. Will wait for husband to complete the job.
But I am not complaining. I will instead eat the last piece of this:
White chocolate raspberry tart with chocolate crust. Yum!!!!